Currently, 6.7 million people in the United States are living with chronic wounds. Due to lack of awareness of advanced wound care, the vast majority of these people do not receive the treatment they need and deserve.
Who May Be Affected?While anyone may be affected, the following groups are particularly susceptible to non-healing wounds. These patients and their caregivers should be on the lookout for wounds that do not heal on their own and should seek treatment right away:
- People with diabetes
- Those with a personal history of heart or vascular disease
- People who have had amputations
- Cancer survivors, especially those who have had radiation therapy
- Those who are obese or overweight
- Patients who have been readmitted to the hospital
- Surgical patients
The most common types of wounds are: Continue reading.